Re:Rape, baby seals & overpowered healing

From: madamx_at_mikka.net.au
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 22:15:50 +1000

From: Sergio Mascarenhas
3. IMO we must distinguish four types of rape:

Perhaps the different sorts of rape suggested give rise to different effects. (all chaotic
& unpleasant for the rapist though)Type a.
rape as a result of passions seems eminently suited to creating a lust spirit as described in 'Possessing Passions' BoDR Chaos. I find the other types more problematic. Both vengeful rape
& rape in total war IMO exist to express the
rapist's power over the victim; i.e. they are acts of rape to inflict the maximum amount of torment & as such all seem to be type b. The consequences of such an act by a PC, while having to fit into the game, should be drastic. Starting with familial vengance they could work up to persecution by apropriate spirits of reprisal, as in Orlanthi terms rape appears to be Apostasy, chaotic taint, i.e. registering as chaotic to those with the ability to sense such things,
& thence to chaotic features & subsequent broohood
for repeat offenders.
Rape in Glorantha should not go un-noticed by the spiritual part of the world. An act of rape was responsible for an entire race (the Broo) becoming chaotic. Another for the creation of the devil. Very few Genertelans (I don't know anything about Pamaltela) IMO have not at least heard of Broo. Rape is what Broo do. If this is drummed into the young with anything like the regularity it appears in the literature any Genertalan must aquaint rape with Broo. Imitation in Glorantha is a potent force. The rapist has seen the ceremonies in which the gods are imitated. He has now imitated a broo. In his own mind he must be taking on some aspects of the broo. Me? I'd be running to my nearest priest to find a way to get rid of the chaos taint. Hating yourself for being alive sounds like a fair description of hell.

Baby seals in Glorantha probably fair no better no worse than the rest of the wildlife. Doubtless there are seal headed Broo & intelegent seals worshipping the appropriate deities.

Thomas Gottschall
more soldiers died of infections than in battle in the Middle Ages. Many were crippled. But in Glorantha the powergamers have won.

I believe Mr Dunham has adressed the maiming problem with the Pendragon Pass rules which, by my interpretation at least,allow for permanent maiming (short of amputation & regrow limb)In addition the medieval RW did not have the divine insight into wounds & disease presumably available to CA healers. IMO the lackof infection & maiming in Glorantha is more than balanced by the variety of ways of dying provided.Magical death in Gloranthan battles takes the place of RW post battle casualties.