Involuntary Initiation

From: Henk.Langeveld_at_holland.sun.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:16:56 +0100 (MET DST)

Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>:
> Subject: Healers and Involuntary Initiation
>
> As to the whole idea of Involuntary Initiation I'd say that it is
> something that is characteristic only of the Chaos Gods. If you rape
> then you attract the attention of Thed, if you assasinate or betray you
> attract the attention of Krasht, if you horde knowledge you attract the
> attention of Thanatar. And since your own gods aren't going to be
> looking out for you (your soul having become polluted) then you are fair
> game.

I'd like to point out at least one possible non-chaotic version of involuntary initiation: Trickster.

IMO, a lot of tricksters don't realise which path they've been walking until it's too late... It's the subject of many parents warnings: "Now you learn to behave or you'll end up just like Old Fenwick over the hill..."

Many are tricked into initiation, thinking they can back out any time, until they find out they can't.

Tricksters don't behave responsibly. Not behaving in a responsible matter will make people loose trust. In the typical close-knit society of Glorantha, losing trust is the same as or at least very close to becoming an outcast.

Some people will voluntarily excluded themselves from regular society by joining Humakt and Storm Bull, finding a niche where they can belong. Some don't, and they become tricksters.

Is there a way out? Illumination is one. Chaos and Death are others.

Yes, I consider tricksters to be very pityful creatures indeed.

Sadly,

Henk