Astrology

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:48:14 -0400 (EDT)

<< Me:
>It takes around 25,000 years for the equinoxes to precess around a full
>circuit.

Steve Martin:
<< Unless I fumbled my Use Microsoft Calculator roll, that is 1 degree of  change every 70 years, which is _extremely_ significant in terrestrial  astrology. So, this is a big difference in Glorantha, since this change  is apparently not present. >>

     It does away with all the dawning of the Age of Aquarius stuff for a start, which is a pity. OTOH, I should explain that RW astrologers ignore the precession of the equinoxes when drawing up horoscopes (you may think it's extremely significant, but they evidently don't) so in that sense it's absence makes less difference than you might imagine.

     Oh, and I had a think about finding something to parallel the 'division of the houses', using the Southpath and so on, but I have to confess to defeat. It just can't be done as far as I can see. Them damn semiarcs just don't want to trisect with any variability (I only say that to show off my knowledge of the jargon :-)). There's probably quite a bit you can do with the angles of the planets, but even then you get less richness than in the RW, not to mention a cycle that repeats on a fairly short timescale. Throwing Jugger into the calculation creates some unpredictable variation, but only when it's visible.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky