More Healing

From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 02:32:24 +0200

Hi everyone,

Jane Williams :

> Agreed. Mind you, if you've only got Heal 2 and say 60% chance of
> casting it, I think you've lost the leg.

Having Heal 2 you have a chance of 11% keeping the leg, with Heal 3 71% and Heal 4 gives you 93% (assuming CON 10 and HP 10). And Heal 4 is not uncommon with players, I think.

> So, you get a scar. And a few weeks off. Does that help? I haven't
> considered sorcery, I'm afraid.

Doesn't help very much. What's the reason spirit magic heals only to 1 HP ? And how does this look like ?

Michael Cule :

> > This is nearly ridiculous when you misuse 'Heal'. Let's say my leg
> is
> > smashed beyond recognition. I still have ten rounds to heal it and
> then
> > it's like new again.
>
> That's right. That's the way. Of course, you're likely to be bleeding
> all
> the time and you may have lost consciousness....

Actually already with Heal 3 I have a good chance to survive this without any injury and inconvenience.

> If you want to add the complications of infection then there's nothing
> in Heal spell to stop you. The wounds close but they may still have
> stuff in them.

That's what I was looking for ! Great, thanks. (Players, be prepared !)

> Well I think it is generally acknowledged that Heal makes people more
> ready to fight in Glorantha.

Yes, that's right. This is because healing magic exists unlike Middle Ages. You don't risk to much if you are prepared for it (like with a Heal 6).

> And I've seen too many characters killed outright or die bleeding
> slowly
> while everyone else was busy to think that RQ is a power gamer's
> dream.

I don't think RQ is a power gamer's dream (just look what a sword with Bladesharp 2 can do to you limbs !) but the Heal spell looks very mean to me. And I also don't like Resurrection, so only personalities get it and not everyone and their alynx. I always asked myself how you could resurrect a body that was hacked into pieces.

> Well, 1) It's your Glorantha but life is hard enough already for a
> poor
> adventurer.

Now really, how much costs Heal 4 ? Not too much I think. I just want to stop my players from choosing combat first and then thinking.

> And 2) Why Humakti especially? Unless you take the bum geas you're
> only cut off from Ressurection, not magic that will keep you fit for
> the
> battle.

I'm in league with Nick Brooke here (Tales # 13, p.49). I believe that every Humakti tries to live all the geasa of his cult. But if he breaks his choosen one he will be punished much harder. If you look in the archives you may find a mail on geasa from me.

Thank you, now I can live with Heal.

Email : Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net
Homepage Telmori's Forest :
(it hasn't moved, it's just a shortcut)
http://home.pages.de/~Telmori's.Forest/

"Do you howl when the moon is fullest ? Have you ever skinned your brother ? - Then tell me why do you think you can understand me !"