Infection

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 07:03:23 -0500

>> If you want to add the complications of infection then there's nothing
>> in Heal spell to stop you. The wounds close but they may still have
>> stuff in them.

> That's what I was looking for ! Great, thanks.

        I believe the subject of infection, (as in bacteria and virus) was discussed some time ago on the digest. The result was that such things do not exist in Glorantha; disease is the province of Malia, and when you get sick it's because a disease spirit is attacking you, like a parasite.

        If you want to say that wounds 'get infected', that is not so hard to manage. After a fight, your body is weakend by your exertions  and injuries, and your POW is liable to be reduced from casting spells. This is a good time for a disease spirit to attach itself to you, your defense are much weaker than normal! Particularly Gangrene and Tetanus spirits, which are atracted by the smell of blood....

        This may sound like a quibble over mechanics, as you can easily end up at the same place. But there are long term ramifications. Frex; 1) The valiant Orlanthi are sacking a Zorak Zoran temple. After a long  battle, the trolls are driven off. Infection? No way! There aren't  any disease spirits around. The Zorak Zorani temple spirits wouldn't  let any get near.
2) The valiant Orlanthi are sacking a temple of Malia. After a long  battle, the followers are driven off. Infection? You bet! And in  every single scratch deep enough to draw blood. Even after defeating  the temple's guardian spirits, there are going to be a bunch of lesser  ones hiding in the corners, just waiting for their chance at all those  lovely open wounds....

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanafal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /