Heal Wound vs. Heal

From: Lee R. Insley <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:26:16 -0400

I was curious about Jane Williams comment about Heal 10 and Heal Wound, so I decided to look at the rules to see if there was a difference. Here is what I "found":
  1. Although it isn't absolutely clear it the RQ rules, (heard that before), it doesn't state that a Heal Wound spell needs 2 points/hit point healed for a creature other than that of the caster as does the heal spell. This would help conserve magic points for the healer if they had to heal say a horse. Use Heal Wound instead of Heal!
  2. Depending on how you play it - you can treat the MPs put into the Heal Wound as boosting the spell, therefore taking 1 MR/MP or you could play it as the spell goes off at the healers DEX SR. A Heal 10 would go off 10 rounds after the DEX SR. Again the rules are not very clear about this concerning Heal Wound. The advantages of being able to cast a Heal Wound at your DEX SR instead of 10 rounds later can be tremendous.

Lee