Civilized Germany

From: Lee R. Insley <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 07:42:35 -0400

>>1) Gauls was more civilized than Germany. Germany had no large towns
>>or trading centers before the Romans got there.
>
>If you define "Germany" as "where the Germanic tribes lived", you are
>mostly correct - there have been cities (ok, I know of one) largely made
>of wood in middle Poland already before the Romans conquered Gaul, and
>since this is pre-migration, the southernmost Germanic tribes lived
>nearby. If you use Germany in its more modern boundaries, possibly even
>including the later Roman province of Noricum, you are totally wrong -
>the entire Danube valley was as civilized as Gaul. The inhabitants were
>eastern Celts, probably with Germanic and Scythian ties. (At the time the
>Roman Empire dissolved the Bajuwars, which became the Bavarian tribe in
>Charlemagne's time, formed here from Roman settlers, native Celts and
>more recently immigrated Germanics...)

I believe I was really making the comparison to the Germanic Tribes and how they lived. The Danube, being the border between what was considered Gaul/Roman and German, would - of course - have a more civilized feel. The point I was trying to make is that Glorantha Sartar appears to have a more Gaul feel than German feel at least in the time frame when Caesar first went into Gaul. If you go a few hundred years later when Rome was in Gaul for quite some time, I am sure civilization spread deeper into Germany.

Lee