RE: Pentan Lassies / Broos

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:01:26 +1000 (EST)

First, sorry about the lengeth of this post, and the lack of references and quote. Hayfever makes me iritable and impatient.

PENT
Jose Ramos suggested that Pentan Girls needed to bring in the head of an enemy before marriage. This is similar to the way one of the Locals down here runs his Pent, where all 'children' must kill several enemies before becoming an 'adult'. Children are not allowed sexual contact. This is has provided some MGF into his games, full of violent, horny teens trying to kill enough people to get married.

The BROO situation.
Sandy said something about 'willing submission' making something not a rape, but with big warrior god Ragnaglar with a sword (Death) threatens Thed with rape, her submission is NOT tantemount to desire for the act, does not make it any more 'wholesome'.

Theds desire was for revenge on the whole stinking world, and Wakboth was the result of her intentions.

The act of Wakboths engenderment is a result of both the evil, chaotic intent of Ragnaglar, of Thed (and Malia?). I hope I'm right in beleiving this rape was after the first incedence of Raganaglars attack, after Thed petitioned to be made goddess of Rape. When Thed knew Ragnaglar would do it again without Orlanth as protector, she ploted to bear a horrible child in revenge, using her fertility powers with twisted intention.

I do not think Ragnaglar, Thed and Malia necessarily were in Ca-hoots, but they are the responsible forces for the creation of the Devil.

BROO themselves.
Sandy mentioned long ago about Satyr being 'Spirits-of-the-Woods' type guys, unrelated to Broo.

He also mentioned that the soul of a rapist *may* become that of a Broo.

I had a thought about the 'supernatural' fertility of Broo being related to their spirit or soul, since we ignore modern biology for most of Glorantha, should not Broo be spiritual 'Rape-for-pain-and-mayhem' type spirits, with physical forms just as substancial as the 'Seduction-for-fun-and-love' type satyr spirits? There are many more ways to view this problem, I think, than the Crimson Bat has eyes.

BTW I LOVE arguing nitty gritty bits about an imaginary world ;-) I think it helps generate a nice fractured Glorantha to pick our favourite bits from, a many view-pointed conglomeration of contradictory and confusing detail from which to baffle our players and characters.

Make mine ambiguous!
Up Irripi Ontor!

Peter