Pentan girls

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:11:54 +0000

I do like the idea of Pentans having to kill an enemy before being able to marry: just like the Skythians, and they've always been one of my favourite armies.

On the cattle-owning front: I believe in Prax, only adult women can own herd beasts. And the definition of "adult", for women, is to have born a child. If pregancy outside marriage is illegal, that gives all the incentive you could want!

Giving them more sexual freedom than the average sun-worshipper also sounds good to me: they've added storm spirits to their pantheon, after all. But, of course, they'd want to get their killing done before getting pregnant, as a nine-month bulge would restrict fighting abilities somewhat. So do we have a bunch of ferocious virgins who turn into man-hunters of another kind as soon as they've made their first kill? Or do we have a very effective contraceptive? (Thought: that's Yelorna v. Vinga in approach. And this is a sun culture moving towards Storm. Mmmm.. sounds like fun! Let's give them both!)

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml