Why No Lunar Sylphs

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danetinc.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:00:38 -0400

> Why doesn't the Lunar Empire's Cult of the Young Elementals provide
> Lunar-types with air elementals/Sylphs?
> But I don't see that this follows mythicly, or even logicaly.

      skipping
> The newer revalations of GRoY, FS, and particularly the Entekosiad show
> that air goddesses, speficily Molanni and Entekos, are well known in
> Peloria. Is it beyond the power of these goddesses to grant Sylphs?

Molanni is a goddess of Calm Air, not Storm. I will have to reread the Entekosiad, but I don't remember where Entekos uses any air-related powers other than levitating her planetary body.

It seems that the Pelorian societies don't willingly access Storm powers. This doesn't means that they don't have some nasty Airish spells of their own, like spewing poison gas, but it seems that they shy away from the Storm aspect of Air like an Orlanthi would shy from a Chaos aspect to Storm.

> You'd think the Lunars would work out a way to get air magics from
> these cults, in order to fight the Orlanthi barbarians in Sartar! Not
> to mention the possibility of getting these magics from the 'Lunarized'
> Orlanthi dwelling in the Empire & its allies, from Bilinni to Talastar.

The Dara Happan faction of the Empire wouldn't lower themselves to use the "barbarian" magic, and they seem to dominate "Lunar" society. Tatius may be an Illuminated Lunar Priestess, but he still thinks like a Yelm Imperator, and he and his kind dominate the Colleges of Magic. What would have happened if the Goddess hadn't let TakenEgi (let alone the post-Sheng masks/emperors) become so Yelmized is an interesting question.

> Andrew Joelson joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com -|-
> aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanafal Tarnils and Humakt |
> "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /

Which is one of the reasons that I think that a non-Solar Lunar Empire and the Orlanthi would have got along fairly well. Witness the Fazzurites with Argrath, and Morthander DeVille and Garrath Sharpsword of Pavis.