Elements and balance

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 20:28:47 +0000

Still going on about elements and so on, I'm afraid.

No doubt this is old news to a lot of people, but I just took a look at the list of elements and their associated colours etc. in GoG. And I found that the metal associated with Air is Silver. The Moon (not an element anyway in my book) doesn't get a metal. What on earth is going on here?

I'm also trying to sort out how animals get attached to the elements: most is pretty obvious, but I'm still trying to understand how birds can be Fire rather than Air. I mean, a bird is a creature of the air the way a fish is a creature of the water. And apart from the Phoenix, birds and fires generally don't get on. Admittedly the only examples I've heard of birds specifically associated with sun cults are all large hawks, who presumably glide more than they flap and are therefore dependant on thermals, but what about the rest?

Gaylin suggested that whatever system you use, healers are primarily concerned with balance, and I think she's right. Taking that a step further and linking it to the ideas about healing plants having spirits. it occurs to me that healers would need to have to hand plants associated with each of the elements. Therefore, they would need to convince the spirits of each plant to be helpful. Perhaps this is one reason why healers are so famous for being unbiased: if you refuse to heal trolls, how do you expect to convince a Darkness herb to be your friend?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml