Torkanii foundation myth.

From: s.lucek_at_ic.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 97 12:08:12 +0100

Torkanii foundation myth

Maurice Beyke says that the Torkanii appeal to him. I certainly find lots of potential in this tribe. They have an interesting geography, from memory, the Hill of Orlanth Victorious, Humakt's hill, as well as being close to Prax, Troll forests etc. I postulate that the Torkanii are a suspicious lot, propitiating the local spirits, so that would give them quite mixed traditions, Orlanth, Humakt, Argan Argar. I also imagine that you might have a tradition of a few proud warriors worshipping light, Elmal, seeing the appeasement of darkness spirits as a weakness.

To explain this violent mix of cults and traditions, a little while ago I wrote the following foundation myth. My apologies that it is rather long and not very good, but since Maurice was asking about the Torkanii, I thought someone might find something useful buried in it.

Old Man Torkan was mighty in magic. He mastered all spirits, and in his strength he said that only the weak worship the gods. He brought up his sons in the old ways.

The first son was born to Torkan in lands far to the south, where darkness men roam freely and the knowledge of the spirits of Dark runs deep. Torkan taught his son his magics and the language of the spirits. His son grew to be mighty in his magics, and listened to the whispering of the spirits and learned their secrets of darkness. So it was that he grew to worship the gods of Darkness. Old Man Torkan was saddened by this.

There was great oppression in those days for those who followed the ancient ways and would not worship the Pharoh. But Torkan was mighty in magic, and none could prevail against him, and so his folk lived in peace. But one day the first son came to Torkan and tried to convince him of the power of the gods of darkness. In sadness and anger, Torkan said to his folk 'The spirits of darkness have turned the heart of my son against me, I can not abide to live amongst them any more'. And so his folk sadly packed and left their land of peace and plenty. Torkan asked his son, 'Will you come with me, or stay with your gods?'. The first son replied, 'You are my father, and none can compare with you in might, I shall follow you.'

Torkan lead his folk to the Dragon Pass, but their way was barred by the great curse of the dragons that sealed the land from any human. Torkan talked to the guardian spirits of the stones that marked the line which no man could cross. Mighty was Torkan's magic, and he discovered the safe path through the curse.

Torkan lead his folk to the high passes of the Quivin peaks. There the spirits of Storm are strong and wild, and Torkan made his abode amongst them. Here a second son was born to Torkan. Torkan taught his son his magics and the language of the spirits. His son grew to be mighty in his magics, and listened to the raging of the spirits and learned their secrets of Storm. So it was that he grew in wisdom and came to worship the gods of Storm. Old Man Torkan was saddened by this.

After Torkan had broken the magics of the dragon curse and entered the pass, others followed. But they were not mighty like Torkan and perished. Some by their wiles got through. All craved the magical lands of the heights of Quivin peaks, but Torkan was mighty in magic and drove them all away. But one day, the second son came to Torkan and tried to convince him of the power of the gods of Storm. In sadness and anger, Torkan spoke to his folk 'The spirits of Storm have turned the heart of my son against me, I can not abide to live amongst them any more'. And so his folk sadly packed and left their land where the wild Storm rages strongly. Torkan asked his son, 'Will you come with me, or stay with your gods?'. The first son replied, 'You are my father, and none can compare with you in might, I shall follow you.'

And so Torkan led his folk through the wilderness, and came to a land where darkness men roamed freely. They made brave war against Torkan and his folk, and summoned their ancient spirits of dark, fearsome in their power. But Torkan was mighty in his magic, so that the darkness men could not stand before him. He summoned great spirits of light, which drove the dark away, and burned the land of its ancient forest, so that no shadow might linger to threaten his folk. The third son of Torkan stood by his side and supported him in his magics. When they were done, his son had learned much of the spirits of light and fire. As the years passed after the great victory, this son listened much to the spirits singing, and learned their secrets of light. So it was that he came to worship the gods of light. Old Man Torkan was saddened by this.

Old Man Torkan was old and frail. His son came to him and tried to convince him of the power of the gods of light. In sadness and anger Torkan spoke to his folk 'The spirits of light have turned the heart of my son against me, I can not abide to live amongst them any more. I go now where none may follow me.' Torkan had one last son, and he took him aside and whispered great secrets to him. And so Torkan left the world. The last son became wise in the magics and mysteries of death.

The sons of Torkan hated each other, as the gods they worshipped hated each other. They fought and fought. As brother fought brother, so amongst the tribe of Torkan kin fought kin and clan fought clan. When the last son saw such kin slaying, he said 'These are no kin of mine that kill each other so. I forswear my kinship with them'. And so it was that the forth son came to know kinless Humakt, and worshipped him becoming strong in battle.

And so it is that the Torkanii have never known peace for they have for ever fought fiercely amongst themselves. Since they are always divided they have never been strong and have never prospered. But this their weakness is also their strength, for none are more brave or savage in war than the Torkanii, and no bard can match a Torkanii bard in tales of blood and woe, of kin slaying and dark deeds.

Stephen Lucek.