A magic taxonomy (continued)

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:29:51 +0100

Trotsky:
I said
<<My major question is: do we really need power and magic points? IMO be =
=3D
don't. Instead of Power we should use Constitution and instead of MP we = =3D
should use Hit Points or Fatigue. Magic is a natural act for mundane =3D beeings in Glorantha that should be done based on the same =3D characteristics of any other mundane action.>>

Trotsky:
<< Personally, I rather like the image of a person who is physically =
frail
but has great magical power, say an elderly Malkioni wizard or Lhankor = Mhy
scholar. If magic is based on CON/hit points you can't do this >>

Whe have to distinguish here how magic works in different magic systems:

  1. Sorcery (your physically frail elderly Malkioni wizard) When I talked about 'magic components' I missed one: skill. As I said, = basic sorcery spells require a HP sacrifice to be learned and no = sacrifice to be used. If you want to boost the spell or manipulate it to = powerful efects, you have two choices: a) sacrifice HP or CON ('I want = him dead and I will pay whichever I have to'); b) You developed the = skill that allows you to boost it without a greater sacrifice. Your = frail wizard is powerful, not because he has greater magical resources = then anybody else (in other words, HP and CON) but because he KNOWS how = - - he as the skill - to use his very limited resources in an incredible = effective way. A wyzard can make a world out of nothing! The choice a) = also allows an unskilled but very ambitious or passionate sorceror to do = powerful wizardry if his ambition or passion leads him to pay the price = (in HP or CON).
  2. Cultists I said:
    <<The most powerful magic would require the sacrifice of constitution or
    other characteristics (the RQ example would be divine spells).>> Trotsky:
    <<Unless you have 'CON gain rolls' somebody with lots of divine spells
    would actually have a lot less magical strength than a lower level = initiate (albeit more he could do with that strength). Neither of these options = feel right to me.>> a) In RQ rules, if you sacrifice for a divine spell you loose the = corresponding CON. Why? My proposal is: you don't. The CON sacrificed = for the spell is not lost. So if you have 15 CON and sacrificed 12 for = Lhankor Mhy spells, you still have your 15 CON. Look at it this way: = your CON is a circle. The god's CON is another cirlce. Before your = initiation, these two cyrlces don't intersect. When you start = sacrificing, they will intersect meaning you became to a certain extent = part of the god. When you sacrificed all your CON, you commited yourself = fully to the service of the god. From the point of view of thr cult, = what is more important is not how much CON you have but how much you = sacrificed since this measures how much you commited yourself to the = cult. If you are a cultist of more then a cult, you will never be able = to commit yourself fully to any of them what expains why you can't = achieve an high status in any of them... b) The 'power' of the spell should not be based only on the CON you = sacrificed (like it happens in RQ). It should also refflect the god's = will and how well the character behaved according to the comandments of = the cult (two issues to be dealt by the GM as the result of = role-playing, not game mechanics). Suppose you are a healer: Chalana = Arroy graced you with the power to ressurect but this power is to be = used wisely. Does the recipient of ressurection deserves a second = chance? Was he a respected person in the community or his he needed by = the community? Do his gods aprove the ressurection? Whould he want to = ressurect? All such factors should matter when determining if the = ressurection worked out. c) An issue that I am going to adress in a future issue of GD: there = should be some way of doing collective magic in cults (I plainly agree = with Boris in this). The most important activity of priests is = conducting cult activities and ensuring people are faithful followers of = the god. Most of these activities don't require CON (or POW). Conclusion: You don't need to have a very high CON to be a powerful = priest. All you need is a strong commitment, a daily respect of your = god's commandments, and to be a good leader of the community.
  3. Shamans a) The power of a shaman results from his ability to atract and 'use' = spirits and otherworld creatures. The shaman is a 'polititian' of the = spirit plane. This means that the spirit plane should be better = described than it has been in the past (unlike the god's plane and the = mundane plane). This is uncharted and unexplored terrain in Glorantha. = Spirits shouldn't be looked at like tools. Plenty of work t be done = here. b) As I said, spirit magic is (in my words) 'personnal magic' like = sorcery. The main difference is that sorcery resulted from a rational = research while spirit magic resulted from tradition. Like a sorceror, a = shaman should have some skills that he would develop in order to boost = the power of his spells. c) The third point I will not address now and it's called FETCH. IMO the = fetch is one of the most intriguing and underused elements in RQ's magic = rules. It has a lot of potential but was never explored fully. (Why? Ask = tho the people that developed RQ.) Of course, in my approach the fetch = would have CON instead of POW.
  4. Magic items I see two possibility here: a) Items that change the characteristics of magic. Some like iron - = metals? - make magic more difficult to perform so that you need a = greater sacrifice to atain the effect you want. Others allow to boost = the power of magic with a smaller sacrifice (that would be the case of = POW storing artifacts or crystals: they wouldn't store nothing). b) Others would acquire CON.
  5. Resisting magic a) It depends on the type of spell or magic. If the spell generates = physical manifestations - like bladesharp or disruption - it should work = only at the physical level according to mundane rules (nothing new = here). A lot of spells would work this way. b) The general principle would be: You resist magic with the stat that = the spell affects. His he trying to heal you? resit him with CON. His he = trying to beffudle you? Resist him with INT. Notice that many of the = spells that can be resisted deal with the 'mind' and would be resisted = with INT. Since most magicians have high INT, they have a better = resistance then the common creature. c) Runes: you don't resist spells that are based on runes you are = connected with. A dragonewt can't resist spells that are based on the = dragonewt rune, a troll doesn't resist spells that work with the = darkness rune, and so on (that requires all spells to have their runic = basis described. IMO this is a good thing from a role playing point of = view).
  6. Gaining CON I suppose that using magic could allow you to gain CON but I don't know = how.

A final comment: Sacrificing CON or HP should be painful and could = require some level of WILLPOWER...

Best,

Sergio Mascarenhas