Re: Totalitarian Uz n' Elves

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

Dave Dunham in reply to Jamuz:

<< Like much of Umathela? Sorry, but it doesn't seem terribly oppressive to
me. More like being ruled by benevolent aliens. And at many times, the humans seem as much allies as subjects.>>

Jamuz:
<< Mmm. Which is why I actually *did* specify Fronela, where the elves seem
 more interested in a "convert by the sword" mentality (granted, they  haven't started yet -- it's a Hero Wars event). Love plants or get  planted! >>

    I agree with James... not all elves are the same. For instance, in Fronela, the Vronkali have a much more dominant position that they do in Umathela. I've always views the Vronkali as a much more militaristic lot than the tree-hugging Mreli. They have a patriarchal, almost feudal culture by comparison with their deciduous brethren. So the Fronelan elves may well take a much more militant line towards the captalist-imperialist humans than the Umathelans. The fact that Umathelan elves deal at all with humans implies a pretty big difference in culture to start with; if the Winterwood/Erontree lot ever get their way and conquer Fronela, I don't see it as a nice place for red-bloods at all.

<< Elves (at least in Fronela) *do* strike me as Totalitarian, at least
within the confines of the Elf Forest. It's a nice life, perhaps, but with many more restrictions than a troll would place on you: you fit a certain facet of the ecology of the elf woods, or you leave/die. Seems rather totalitarian to me...>>

    Hear, hear! (And it was about time somebody said that and spelled it correctly...)

Forward the glorious Green Army!

    Leaf Davidobirch Brownstem
 (or something like that)