Pelorian Politics

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 06:26:04 +0800

Joerg said
>there are enough God Learner
> or Theyalan Council influences in Dara Happa to identify Reb. Term. with
> Storm.

and Andrew said

> Oh come on, the GLs didn't get to Peloria, we've been over that
>before. Blocked by the proto-Carmainians & EWF.

        Which comes back to the perennial argument about what exactly consitutes a 'God Learner'. Identifying Rebellus Terminus with Orlanth (and Yelm as The Evil Emperor), while 'God Learning' by some definitions, happened in First Council days. By the late first age the Yelmic religion had learnt a few more things about their neighbours.

>You can be sure the Carmanians didn't charge into the Dragon Pass wars to
>smash a Yelmic boogey man. Neither did the Blue Moon Plateau Trolls.

        Neither the Carmanians or the Blue Moon Trolls happen to rule the Lunar Empire. The Lunars (and to a lesser extent the Dara Happans) do. Sure, the various opinions of the various other factions within the Lunar Empire are important, but not as important as the Emperor. The motivations of the Tarshites are important - because they form the bulk of the army that actually attacks Dragon Pass, and because without Moirades Dragon Pass might have escaped Imperial attention for years - but the reasoning of the Blue Moon Trolls, for example, doesn't really matter, because even if the Blue Moon Trolls didn't want to invade Dragon Pass, the invasion would still have happened (in contrast to the Emperor).

        Cheers

                David