Re: Aeolians

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 97 19:23 MET DST

I guess it's my fault...

a couple of years ago I was told that the Hendriki tribe had a strange mixture of wizards and priests at their court. I was intrigued, so I tried to write up a RQ3 (actually RQ4 playtest) cult write-up for a "Stygian" Sect - - something which had not been done before.

Due to some delays with the publication (on Henk's old RQ-digest) of the longish piece that resulted and pre-release mentions of this, there were too many pages of discussion. Mostly outrage, IIRC.

Anyway, the Aeolian Church of Heortland ended up as a threepart issue of digest 10, or so. The history mythos - slightly rewritten - should be on my homepage. I'll check the missing links today...

With the demise of RQ as official game system for Glorantha and the hairy issue of spirit magic contra unprofessional sorcery postponed, I have given up to detail the rulesy side of the write-up.

In my Glorantha, the Aeolian Church of Heortland is a non-Stygian (i.e. not darkness-venerating) variant of the various blends of Malkionism and Theism. David Hall has written up a different, practically purely Heortling Orlanthi version for How the West was One, which emphasizes the differences to orthodox Malkionism rather than the similarities.

There are other Aeolian Churches - Aeolian just meaning "of the wind". The Henotheist Church of Otkorion most certainly is an Aeolian Church. Check out the write-up of the Otkorion version - I found it through Delecti's Hall of Cults.

Apart from this, there seems to be an ancient Aeolian school of sorcery among the Brithini, which may have survived in a few places - like Sog City. Apparently Logicians who had specialized on wind magics through their set of logical (i.e. sorcerous) magic. Seems like the alma mater of Worlath the False God in Malkioni lore to me...