What I dislike about magic

From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:27:22 +0200

Hi everyone,

Luc Lavergne on the magic discussion :

Is Alan LaVergne your brother ?

> i would like digesters to put on the
> digest what they particularly dislike about the current magic system
> so that a new system could be structured with these critics in mind.

Now that you asked...What I dislike is spirit magic (I don't care for sorcery and I have found a solution for Divine M.). It seems to me that spirit magic is not Gloranthan enough and easy to abuse. I don't like the mechanic how spirit magic is tought (defeating a spirit). Perhaps this is not a problem of RQ itself but I would like a restriction to what power level someone can get a spell (I don't like every Orlanthi running around with Bladesharp 5 and Heal 6). I would like an official pricelists for magical items (MP storage and spell matrices). I would like a mechanic that prevents players from casting spells on and on with bound spirits and stored MP. I don't like that people cast a spell anew when they failed first and I want a good explanation why this shouldn't be possible. And then I would like spirit magic like Greg saw it some time ago, a lot of help but it doesn't work for sure and the most people have only some spells which are good for things they usually do (which is not adventuring or slaying monsters). I would also love to get rid of the spirit magic spell list that is universal for Glorantha. I would love a system where spirit magic is created by the community and its needs making it unique and different from others.

   Sadly, I have no idea how to realize that and make a nice, fast system of it with almost no work for the GM and players.

> Also, shouldn't we first talk about which characteristics would make
> the next system ?

I would love to having experimented with different characteristics myself but I feel that this is not really the place to do it (like the compass discussion). So I would prefer to do it using private mail unless no digest member objects.
- --
bye, Thomas

Email : Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net
Homepage Telmori's Forest :
http://home.pages.de/~Telmori's.Forest/

"Do you howl when the moon is fullest ? Have you ever skinned your brother ? - Then tell me why do you think you can understand me !"