Herbs & Magic Rules

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 19:52:27 +0100

Jane Williams:
>What I can't sort out yet is associations between the five elements and
>the 7 stats. Some can be sorted out from the list above, others I'm
stuck
>on - perhaps we need more elements?

Positive Association

STR	Earth, Sea
CON	Earth, Air
SIZ	Earth
INT	Fire
POW	Spirit, Moon
DEX	Air, Movement
APP	Earth

Negative Association
INT	Moon, Earth
DEX	Earth

Mark Sabalauskas:
>It would be nice if the emotional and spiritual
>importance of belonging to cults was highlighted.

Hear, hear! All too often I've seen someone play a shaman and the theists are queuing up to learn all the spells that they can't get or can't afford from their cult.

>the Chase Sheep spell works just as well at
>Run Away From Horsemen.

I disagree with this point. Chase Sheep propels the caster towards the desired sheep at 1m/sr per point of spell on top of his normal movement rate. Run Away From Horsemen only works when the caster is in a mental state of fear.

Jose Ramos:
>>a coward will not succeed the taming of Storm Bull,
Jeff Richard:
>Yes and no. As long as the hero precisely re-enacts the significant
>actions of his god, the result will be repeated.

Surely mental actions are as important as physical? Wetting one's trews is going to have a significant effect on the outcome, IMO.

>most human magic is powered by human POW, the POW that
>you are born with, and this Pow is not Fire Pow, Air Pow, or
>anything, but Human POW.

I'd call it Man POW, Trolls would start with Man POW and Darkness POW, Elves with Man POW and Plant POW, etc.

Suggested Mechanic: In order to increase any POW stat, the player must first FAIL an increase roll on his highest other POW stat. This makes diverse magical powers harder to maintain. There are cult rituals for disposing of POW from unwanted realms.

I'd also say that any POW can be used to defend, but would suffer a minor penalty compared to an aligned or opposed rune, which should both defend at full value.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/phibbs +--------------+

| What immortal hand or eye dare frame thy perfect symmetry? |