RE: calling Dan Barker

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 16:46:40 -0500

I am trying to get in touch with Dan Barker, and he never answers his phone. Could some kind intermediate put us in touch? My work number is 1-(972)-960-2700 x.232 Home is 1-(972)-771-7690. Or he could email via a friend or just tell me what time I can call him.

There has been some comments that Gloranthan RQ has had more magic than "Greg" wanted. I have two comments on this.

  1. Greg's own house games, at least up to 1988, had plenty of magic in them.
  2. (personal communication) both Greg & I have agreed that most RQ games have _less_ magic and are _more_ mundane than the "real" Glorantha. However, most of this magic isn't combat-effective. Glorantha is steeped in magic. It can be found everywhere. Much of it is useless to power gamers. Examples of what I mean follow. If you were raised in a Gloranthan town, you might know of ...
    ... down at the far end of the orchard grows Froalar's Apple
    Tree, which sprouted from a footprint of the Saint himself, and which bears bright blue, instead of red, apples.
    ... every midsummer, for three or four days, the village is
    pestered by visible but intangible fairies.
    ... the mean old curmudgeon Harn Pigfoot, whose neck is always
    festering with boils because he's such a bad person, haunted by impests which only he can see.
    ... everyone has to sacrifice to Frog Duchess the first Waterday
    of each season, or their wells might run dry. We all know someone to whom this has happened.
    ... the Whispering Stone by the waterfall. Anyone sitting on it
    can hear it ask three questions. No one has been able to answer the questions yet. No one knows what will happen if anyone succeeds.
    ... and so forth
    When my players get loot, I try to include magic "junk" in with the other stuff; glowing snake skulls, pots which change color according to the day of the week, rocks which stay warm regardless of the ambient temperature, etc.

Sandy P.