Re: Gold Wheel Dancers

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 04:19:17 -0500

Clay writes:

> Suddenly, I find a piece on the web about Gold Wheel Dancers. Great,
> it answers the basic question, but it's laden with facts I heretofore
> had no inkling of (War Between Giants and Dragons? I don't ever rem-
> ember reading that...did I miss it somewhere? Pinchining Who?)

This may be what the Digest is for: answering all the questions you can't=

find answers to in books or zines or web-pages. I know it wasn't the main=

theme of your post (to which I return below), but here are the seeds of the answers. I am sure there are others here who could contribute more. We *like* being asked questions about Gloranthan basics, and obscurities,=

and weirdnesses... never be afraid to ask!

The War between Giants and Dragons: cf. "Gods of Glorantha" monomyth, "Some Early Struggles":

: Dragonewts - War against Giants
:
: The dragonewts tell of a great war fought between their draconic
: ancestors and a mysterious race of giants. The outcome is hidden
: in draconic metaphysics.

Pinchining: cf. the Cradle scenario, or Digest V2 #553 for my own post on the subject.

But part of the joy of Glorantha (IMHO) is *knowing* that there are Mysteries in the world which nobody really knows the answers to. The War of the Dragons and Giants is a case in point: while I'm sure continents buckled and elements shrieked as these primordial forces laid into each other (like something out of the Cthulhu Mythos), the actual effect on Gloranthans today can be written on the back of a postage stamp. The Elder Giants, like the Cosmically-Powerful Ancestral  Dragons, are "just one of those things". You almost certainly *don't* need to understand them to use them in play: you can allude to them, or scare your players by showing them that there's something of *VAST* importance, about which their normal sources of information (libraries, priests, divinations) are almost totally ignorant. (Those famous "draconic metaphysics").

The depth of Glorantha is an asset as well as a stumbling-block. Use the richness and complexity of the world as an advantage: don't just exploit the parts which have been fully explained.

::::
Nick
::::

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #201