Knowing it all; PC gender bias

From: Mr. Tines <tines_at_windsong.demon.co.uk>
Date: 01 Nov 1997 21:37 +0000

Clay Luther wrote:
> For about the past 6 months, I've been dealing with what I've come to
> call my Gloranthan Depression. You see, I *like* Glorantha, but it
> depresses me severely. I'm an information junkie, and I try to read and
> understand any cogent material on Glorantha that I can find.
[snip]
> waiting. I tell my players "We'll play in Glorantha when the new stuff
> comes out..." They shuffle their feet and say "Well, it'll still
> overwhelm us."

With that approach, even if G:tG ("out next year", every year since 1990) ever does materialise, I'm not sure you'll ever bit the bullet. Given the erratic flow of information and significant rethinks, the canonical Gloranthan campaign is as chimerical as the perfect RPG system.

My own resolution to the dilemma has been to speculate about Glorantha on the side - albeit less in recent years as the canon and I drifted apart; and to weave the bits that make the world distinctive amongst FRP settings into your own creation.

Sandy Petersen wrote
> Axe Trance: if she's at 90% skill anyway, how often
> does she miss? And her axe doesn't impale.

But can critical, even if you don't use the RQ2 "Slash" on an impale % : all the criticisms I've seen of that spell have involved driving the crit % to obscene levels.

> The majority of PCs are male, let's face it.

This may well be true globally, but there are significant local fluctuations.