Guilds, Engizi, Funerary customs, Giants vs. Dragons

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 15:57:42 EST

Joerg
>IMO a guild structure is common to all Kethaelan cities, and since
Sartar
>transplanted Kethaelan city culture to his developing principality (and
>IMO also invited skilled craftspeople and traders from Kethaela into his

>new cities) the Sartarite cities will have at least rudimentary guilds.

Let's not forget that New Pavis, founded by Sartarites, has from the ver beginning of RQ been considered to be run by guilds. This element was played down in the published Pavis pack, but I am certain it is still present.

>If the circumstances are right, a seemingly ordinary sequence of actions

>may trigger a more magical impact. I mean, what is so magical about
>circling a hilltop or barrow three times? Still, after the third
>circling, the cave entrance may become obvious which on the first two
>runs must have been overlooked...

Also the practice of turning 'widdershins", that is counter-clockwise.
>From Dorastor: Land of Doom, we know that this is sometimes a component
of Orlanthi magic.

>Now I don't think that Skyriver Titan was changed much by the change in
>his lower course. Most of his myths would have remained unchanged, even
>though he lost his oldtime ally Salmon for a while.

Part of this is because most of his myths have to do with Sky Fall Lake and that area, and fewer with his mouth. Though I would imagine his worshipers in old Karse were very much affected by this change.

Another possible reason for the lack of change in him is the fact that he is worshiped by both the humans and the trolls of the area, at least the trolls around Sky Fall Lake. Since the conflict between Belintar and Only Old One involved both sets of his worshipers, perhaps, he may have had to stay neutral. This would have possibly protected him from some of the adverse results.

Lee Insley
>In some Viking cultures, when at the moment a person died, a window was
>opened in order to let the spirit of the body leave the building. The
dead
>body was then removed from the house in either a special "corpse-door"
or
>through a hole made in the wall. It was generally believed that if the
>body was removed through a window or doorway, the dead could find its
way
>back home through that entrance, so percautions were made to prevent
this
>from happening.

I seem to remember this as a Finnish or Siberian custom, though I could be wrong. It could also be fairly common -- it does seem to fit Orlanthi beliefs, though.

>Once the body is removed from the house, a watch is put
>over the body. This watch is to make sure the body doesn't come back to
life.

Definitely appropriate for Sartarites near: Snake-Pipe Hollow, the Footprint, any group of Zorak Zoran worshiping trolls, or (especially) the Upland Marsh. I like this.

CLAY's QUESTIONS (AND NICK'S ANSWERS) ON GOLD WHEEL DANCERS Another source of information on Pinchining is in Tales of the Reaching Moon 5 (if you can find a copy), where it came up in the interview with Greg Stafford. Basically, Pinchining was a Gold Wheel Dancer who was brought back to life by accidental worship on the part of a player character. He is the entity who defends the Giant Cradle which floats down the Zola Fel river in 1621.

The only other thing we know about the War between the Giants and Dragons comes from Wyrms Footnotes 14 (reprinted in Lords of Terror):

"The Cosmic Dragon appointed six other dragons to be his assistants. These others are the founders of the Real Dragons in Glorantha, and are the race of dragons which warred against the Old Giants in the days when the goddess Glorantha was but a child."

In other words, it happened before the creation of Glorantha by the Elements and the Powers.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com