Babs, Spirits, Pharaoh

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 21:54:03 EST

Sandy, then George Harris
>Take a warrior with 5 points of Rune Magic:
>
>Babeester Gor: Slash 2, Great Parry
>Storm Khan: Berserk, Shield 4

Babeester Gor: Berserk, Shield 4

Excuse me, since when is Berserk a 1 point spell?

David Cake on Kolatings
>Make the shaman's job a lot about roleplaying his
>connections to the many spirits (wind and otherwise) that he can
contact.

There was a very interesting article in issue 7, 9, or 10 of Heroes magazine which gave an example of this, though it was for a Basmoli shaman. Well worth reading, if you can find it. Basically, the shaman was "haunted" by the ghosts of some of her dead tribesmen, and would talk to them. Sometimes in the middle of conversations with other people, if they made comments.

Joerg
>>Could the "host" Avatar be sometimes a Dark Troll or a Ludoch ?

>Good question. It seems that Belintar's precedessor, the Only Old One,
could
>switch between troll mode and human mode.

>While we're at it, could the avatar be female (and still perform the
Year
>King rites)? A newtling, or a wind child?

I don't know about non-humans (though given the nature of Kethaela, I would assume so), but I know beyond a doubt that the Pharaoh has been female on occasion. Greg's earliest notes for MOLAD confirm this, and when playtesting with Tarkalor a few years ago, the Pharaoh WAS a woman! Surprised all of us, let me tell you. The players, that is.

To back up a bit, I always got the impression that the Pharaoh disappeared DURING a normal Tournament of the MOLAD. So, his body wore out, the Tournament began as normal, Jar-eel hijacked and dissected him, and he did not return. What is the basis of thinking the Tournament in 1616 was abnormal?

As for life in the City of Wonders, I can offer a few experiences.

The people there, even the commoners, are very blase about the gods -- they talk about how Argan Argar stopped by the palace the other night, and all the Orlanthi peasants in the Storm Section of the city line up for their free beer every time Orlanth blows into town.

At least some parts of the city are self-repairing -- one of the players in the adventure flew in on a particularly strong wind, and blew lots of the buildings down. Tarkalor was all prepared to pay for the damages (a high sum, even for him, since he wasn't Prince yet), but he didn't have to because the buildings fixed themselves/were fixed by spirits/whatever.

Strange philosophies abound there, and are tolerated by the Pharaoh, including apparent God Learner beliefs and even some practices.

Just as the land is divided into Sixths, so too is the city. The Water section is the harbor.

In a story for Heroes of the King, a "Dream Gallery" was postulated for the city, where people could store their favorite dreams for other people to see, or to return to them later.

That's all I gots here.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions