Re: Battle of Runegate Fort

From: Lee R. Insley <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 09:24:18 -0500

Ralph Plowman asks:

>WARGAMING THE BATTLE OF RUNEGATE FORT
>
>I'm about to start a Sartar campaign for a bunch of new RQ players and I
>thought it would be a good idea to stage this battle as a wargame to
>give the players a 'wider view' of what the deal is with the Lunar
>Empire, Delecti etc.
>I have Tarsh War which describes beautifully the troops and tactics of
>the Red Army, but what I would like is
>
>1. Some idea of how the Sartar army is made up and any tactics they use.

Ah, this is an area that I believe has not be describe adequately in Glorantha literature. I have been contemplating this myself for a few weeks now and my thoughts can be found at <http://members.tripod.com/~insley/sartar_army.html>. Any comments on this write-up would be appreciated.

It is important to note that I view the Sartar soldier as a farmer/soldier and not as a feudal type warrior (or a professional soldier). I don't know if this is the standard view of the Orlanthi soldier.

>I have WB&RM which names various Sartar units, but how do these units
>fit in with the general wargaming "Heavy/Light/Skirmish etc."
>categories.

Based on my description, I think there isn't a good fit for the classic wargamming classification. Probably Medium would be most fitting. Heavy would be more along the lines of the Sun County Templars. The problem is, that some of the warriors would be heavy, some medium, and some light. On 'average' - medium would have to do.

Lee