being for the benefit of Mr Tines

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 17:19:03 +0800

>> As people by the thousand will no doubt point out, to dodge a
>> special you need a special, to dodge a critical you need a critical.
>
>It may be a house rule - it's been years since I've
>looked at the central rules - but isn't this just
>the same for parrying?

        It is a house rule. The official rules are that a special parry stops double APs, a critical parry stops any amount of APs, IIRC.

>> from Axe Trance (much better than comparable spells like Arrow Trance, if
>> you have a few MPs to spare - and even just an average Allied spirit can
>> easily provide enough to get you +100% or more), then the Babeestor Gor
>
>If you can sensibly expend all that POW in one
>fell swoop. This is where temperament and
>campaign style differ, I feel.

        Yes. I find in most situations in my game, the players are a whole lot more worried about the enemy they are facing than any lurking ones - especially because I don't tend to do dungeon/building complex exploration type things very often, so unexpected dangers are not that common.

>My experience may be biased by the usual
>camapign lifespan being about 18 months of roughly
>weekly sessions, but it has been my experience,
>that there was no real difference between the various
>combat cultists, except for that due to good or bad runs
>with the skill checks, for characters who were still well
>away from contemplating rune level when the campaign
>folded.

        Its probably quite true that the differences between combat cults doesn't make much difference when the characters are well below rune level. Unfortunately, characters in my games are quite often rune level, so the differences very rapidly become apparent.

And on magic roads - there are lots of conceivable situations in which magic roads are more useful than the mundane sort. Its just that none of them are 'normal'. Basically, the magic roads are dangerous enough that normal people never use them if they can help it, and tough people use them only if whatever consequences of NOT using the magic road (ie the Lunars getting to the Prince before you, civil war breaking out because the message was not delivered, etc) are worse.

	Cheers
		David