Warhamster, Non-miniatures

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:56:42 -0500 (EST)

Luther Clay wrote:
> I'd like to hear about people's experiences with Warhamster and how they
> engaged PCs using the Warhamster rules.
If your characters are sticking together as a "unit", I've found it easier myself just to use RQ combat rules for their participation, and Warhamster for the rest of the battle. Very fun, all in all.

Both times I've done it I resolved the battle ahead of time, took lots of notes, and used these to "describe" what the players saw. If the squads the PC are leading are important (say, if the PC has a shot at charging through the ranks and killing the enemy general), this may not work -- if they're just another 30 grunts in the center, it probably would, since they'll have little chance to determine the outcome of the battle.

> Also, I sold all of my lead figures a few years ago and have no desire
> to purchase more. Does anyone have an economical and aesthetic
> suggestion for lead-figure-army alternatives?
Several economical suggestions, but perhaps not aesthetic...

*Pennies. For $1, you can get 100 "figures." Spray paint them in unit colors, and use a Sharpie to mark info on them. I've done this -- you can paint each side different colors, too, to designate wounded, dead, whatever. Oh, clean them first (soak in a tub) so the paint sticks well. And they're a good size to work with.

Hope that helps!

James Frusetta