Babs, 1616 TotMoLaD

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 97 19:37 MET

Sandy, replying to George Harris':
>>Attack twice, and Babs' attack (which you can't parry) comes before
>>your second.
>Why are you attacking her one-on-one? Are you some kind of idiot?

The word is "Humakti", I suppose.

Frederic Ferro:
>Joerg Baumgartner seems to think that the Pharaoh made a quest, was
>ambushed, sent to a Lunar Hell and then (and only then) the Tournament
>took place to resurrect him.

That's what was said on the digest when Nick Brooke disclosed his (commonly accepted) ideas about the nature of Jar-eel's involvement.

The Pharaoh disappeared during a rite in Esrolia. Nick Brooke equated this rite with the Year-King rite, with Jar-eel probably having intruded into the ritual as his bride. (Her precedessor Hon-eel did this in Tarsh...)

If this is true, then the Pharaoh's body surely would have been dead beyond reuse, so a tournament should have taken place. However, in this case there was no spirit of the Pharaoh to guide the Tournament.

>Stephen Martin thinks (as I do, although I have no proof) that the
>Pharaoh was captured during an apparently normal MOLAD Tourney that
>got wrong.

In that case, how did he come to participate? If this scenario is true, then he must have taken possession of the winner of the Tournament, and have been on his way back to the City of Wonders. The ambush would have been last minute...

>I think I prefer this more dramatic version as I would like my players
>to see "this beautiful woman and her cook" taking part into the event in
>1616.

No problem with "this beautiful woman" (have a look at Dan Barker's German RQ-Con T-shirt for an idea, if you haven't got one yet order it!), but her cook isn't in the picture yet. She will meet him soonish (from a 1621 perspective) when he leads a slave revolt against the Empire from some province this enslaved Redlander rebel has been sent to labour as a kitchen slave.

>If the Pharoah is already dead, the Tourney will be less interesting,
>only a disappointing failure, not a tragedy.

The tragedy is that the Pharaoh is _not_ dead, hence cannot return, IMO. He is caught between dead and alive. About two years ago someone whose name I fail to remember wrote a nice story about this...