Like it or Lump it; figure substitutes; The Chalk Man (a location)

From: Mr. Tines <tines_at_windsong.demon.co.uk>
Date: 05 Nov 1997 22:04 +0000

Sandy urged Clay that
> THE LUMP IS WRONG! DON'T LISTEN TO IT! [snip] make it
> up yourself!
> 1) You'll get the "right" answer anyway.
> This is pretty likely, since Glorantha stems from
> a limited information base

Depending what other baggage you bring along with you to the problem. Answers will either be right near as damn it; or egregiously "wrong" (modelling ones Lunar Empire, for lack of firm fact, on a real world expansionist Red menace, to take one extreme example)

> 2) Nothing will ever get published on that fact.
> 3) You'll get Gregged.

With the intermediate "nothing will get published for a decade or so, and then you'll get Gregged/ Sandied/MOBbed/etc". My advice would be to start out by making some deliberate change to the setting to mark out your own territory, and get the Gregging over with. Then it won't hurt if something that you've made integral to the game (say, in the Lunars-as-Commies alternate, the presence of descendents of the few Sun worshipping nobles who escaped the Red Revolution living in penurious exile in surrounding lands, to be used as figurheads for invasions) suddenly turns out non-canonical, since you already knew that something significant was.

That or play something else and speculate here.

Clay asked

> Does anyone have an economical and aesthetic
> suggestion for lead-figure-army alternatives?

The following have been pressed into service in the past to represent figures in combat

Chess pieces[*]. Draughts pieces. Colonel Mustard and the rest from Cluedo. Cardboard rectangles with unit values and designations. Dice (number uppermost can be meaningful).

[*] and not only in the Cradle scenario, where what you see is what you get...

===

The last Gloranthan campaign I played in took a different spin on the "Occupied Sartar" scenario, in terms of rewriting the Lunar invasion - in the sort of "If you're going to be Gregged, do it in style" approach I discussed above, but there are a few bits that may well be generally applicable.

It seemed obvious to us that an Anglo-Saxon style Sartar would have carved figures chalk hillsides; I can't remember if the "Valley of the Chalk Man" in canonical Sartar (map as per p93 of Wyrms Footprints) was named on any of the maps we had of the area back in 89-90 odd, but that was about the location, in a region of effective Tarshite annexation, where we found one such figure that had been carved in a hillside around a series of caves. Following one cave, one found the real Chalk Man - a series of neat square (Earth Rune) tunnels, forming a stylised, squared-off human figure, that was in some sense "alive" as a result of a number of elemental spirits that pervaded it.

Its significance within the game was that, after a bit of puzzle solving, and some oratory and other proof to the Chalk Man that we had suitable credentials, a hidden chamber within its head yielded up the War Crown of a Hero from olden days (i.e. one of the plot tokens we needed to collect to cash in for a happy ending).