Axe Trance + others

From: Mystic Musk Ox <mab_at_sdc1.bnsc.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:35:54 GMT

Re: the problems with Axe Trance etc, one home made solution to this type of problem that we have used is to say that a skill can never be raised above double the users unmodified value of that skill, whether by bonuses for position, spell, or whatever. I always felt that the actual skill of the PC ought to count for large effect on the final value. Stops attacks of 2000% too! Thus if you go Berserk (tm), then you aren't going to get any more percentages to hit from your Bladesharp, though you will get the extra damage.

The basis for rationalisation for this rule (apart from the bit about controlling the game), is that if your skill is boosted, you still have to have some understanding of how to use that skill, extrapolated from your own current understanding. Above this, you just can't handle the finesse etc needed. We decided on double the skill because that felt about right to us. Use a different number if you like, whatever suits your game.

cheers,

mark buckley.