Mostali magic and creativity

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 22:30:09 -0500 (EST)

Peter Metcalfe" <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>:

> The Mostali system of education makes human rote-learning
> look like brilliant understanding of the facts and makes
> the most conservative Kralori and Brithini like dangerous
> innovators.

True, but not to my point.

The Mostali see "creativity" the way you or I see a tumor in our bodies. Actually, a Mostali sees creativity the way one of our leukocytes would see a tumor cell, if white blood cells had consciousness. A clay Mostali is a mechanism created to repair and protect the World Machine, and (as much as one can) glories in that status.

Remember, however, that all the major Gloranthan worldviews have at least some correct elements. In some sense, everything that's happening in "current" (Hero Wars period) Glorantha is either an abberation caused by damage to the Machine, or the result of Mostali repair efforts. From this viewpoint, "creativity" like Lunar magic is just a manifestation of Mostali repair plans -- nothing new, all of this was planned before the Individualist heresy was founded.

I was speaking of power -- well, I personally believe the Dwarf claim that they raised the Sun back into the heavens, for instance. I am aware of no Gloranthan sources showing any human force defeating a Dwarf army or sorceror, except the God Learners (temporarily). In the absence of God Learners in the 1600s S.T., I have to give the Mostali precedence over any human mages.
- --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>