Luck, Death, etc

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:24:04 +0800

Firstly, Mark Mohrfield mocks me - it was deserved, and you made me laugh, Mark. I shall say no more on the matter.

>The God Forgot stuff would have to happen during Sacred Time, I guess --
>does he go play a ritual game of bacarat, winning stupendously on the
>first play, to show that he still has all of the Luck he took from Our
>Lady of Credit?

        I don't think it works like that - Luck is always a capricious force, even a hero of Luck like the Pharoah can't count on the dice falling in his favour. The opposite of Luck is Fate, not Ill-fortune, certainty not bad luck.

        There is the possibility that the game of baccarat (or whatever - Diamondback, anyone?) is rigged, but I think that would be a rejection of luck.

        Personally, I think he plays, but never risks enough to make a serious dent in the amount the God Forgot guys owe him anyway. How well the Pharoah goes is regarded as an omen for his citizens (except for the God Forgot people, who have no faith in omens, but care a great deal about how the Pharoah does anyway, as the amount of money involved is still sizable). If he hard a significant losing streak lasting many years, he could lose control of God Forgot. Of course, the laws of probability make it unlikely he will.

Quick note re: Peter Metcalfes comments on Dormal

I though Dormal disappeared after sailing to Altinela, not Luathela.

Which, to my mind, makes him more likely to have perished via a snow troll or Altinae whalebone spear than a Luatha club. Still, I think there seems to be concencus that he dies the death of the great navigator he is.

And bravo to Stephen Martin for the info on Engizi/Sky River Titan. Its so obvious now.....

        Cheers

                David