RE: Doraddi Solar Death myth & Dwarfs

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:27:57 -0600

Me:
>Was the Sun God assassinated (Sartarite), murdered (East Isles),
voluntarily martyred (Dara Happan), or did it >just fall out of the sky because the sky dome was tilted (Doraddi)?

Dave Dunham:
>I'm interested in the Doraddi version-has this been published somewhere
that I'm forgetting?

        Beats me. The short version of this myth is that when Vovisibor came into the world, he had to tilt up the Sky Bowl to crawl under it. This naturally caused everything stuck onto the Sky Bowl to slide off to one side or another. Those stars which stuck tightly to the Dome remained safe, but lots of things fell off, including the Sun himself and a whole mess of fire, which plummeted atop the Artmali Empire and fried it.

        This also unbalanced the cosmos by making lots of cold up north (the fire had slid off away), and that is why Genertela is an uninhabitable frozen wasteland. The ice demons loved it up there and the most powerful of them came down south, conquering Umathela. Luckily, Qualyorni the ice demon was stopped before he was able to totally freeze over Umathela, and parts of it can still be inhabited, if you use the distorted magics of that region.

Nikk Effingham asked
>> BTW does anyone know if Yelmalio has any Sun Domes in Ralios?

There's just one, up in the northeast. It's probably a relic of the First Age, and warriors from it man Arkat's Last Fort. It's only locally important.

Carl Fink
>I am aware of no Gloranthan sources showing any human force defeating a
Dwarf army or sorceror, except the >God Learners (temporarily).

        Sure there are: the Machine City beat off several Dwarf attacks before their final destruction. The dwarf defenders of Pavis were defeated by the Praxians. In both cases, the Dwarf forces were heavily reinforced with non-dwarfs, but this is perhaps a good signal of the dwindling strength of dwarfs - since the First Age, they've not managed to field any pure dwarf armies, but must act only in concert with allies.

        Dwarfs are so withdrawn from the surface world that they have been fighting very few wars with any outside force. The vast majority of dwarf conflicts are civil in nature. Which is part of their problem - before they can properly fix the World Machine, they have to fix their repair tools (i.e., themselves).