Newbies on the GD

From: Ingo Tschinke <Tradetalk_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:45:44 +0100

John Constable wrote:
> I am new to the list, but not a newbie to the Internet, so I hope you
> wont all run screaming :-)

Why we should do this. IMO the GD is a forum for high level discussions about Glorantha (sometimes these discussion have such a level even I couldn't understand them and I'm the Editor of a Glorantha mag), but furthermore it should also for newbies. This is one of the main reasons why the Chaos Society is doing Tradetalk - we want to publish material especially for newbies on Glorantha. I'm from Germany and there Glorantha isn't so popular as it should be. Therefore we have started with Free INT to do a magazine which explains a lot for newbies. Now we are doing this with Tradetalk in english language. Every newbie should be welcome.

> My questions are:
>
> 1. Where is a good place to by RQ stuff in the UK? I dont much fancy
> sending overseas...

Go to Leisure Games at Finchley, London (91 Ballards Lane). Call Mr. Berry 0181-3462327. He has a good stockage on RQ III material.

> 2. When is/Is RQ IV coming out? retailers say soon, or it should
> already be, but they haven't heard anything.

Not before the middle of 1998. Some gamestester from GenCon told me that RQ IV will be totally different compared to RQ III. It is possible that it wouldn't be even compatible with RQ III.

> 3. Is it worth waiting for RQ4 or get the stuff for RQIII?

Try to get you hands on RQ III stuff, because there wouldn't be any glorantha material in RQ IV. Especially the latest RQ III stuff is to recommended.

> 4. Having read some of the supplements (it was a while ago, so
> apologies as I cant remember the reference), I am intrigued by mentions
> of people (mainly, I gathered, Lunars) being Enlightened. What is this,
> how do you get it, what are the ramifications, and are there are rules
> governing it for RQIII?

I think you mean the illumination which is covered in Lords of Terror.

> 5. Exposing my ignorance again, one of my favorite adventures from
> White Dwarf (back when it had RPG stuff. I know, blast from the
> past...) had a team of Lunars against the player charecter. One of the
> Lunars was a magician from a college of sorcery, who seemingly had
> skills like the sorcery rules for manipulating what looked like spirit
> magic spells. I have looked on the Internet, and found Sandy Peterson's
> sorcery rules, which does a nice job of putting things together for the
> sorcery rules, but doesnt really tell me if this is the rules I was
> looking for. Does anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?

The Lunars are able to manipulate spirit magic spells with specially abilities form the lunar college of Magic. See Gods of Glorantha, the Red Godess, page 64.

Cheers

ingo