various

From: DUNCAN ROWLANDS <DUNCANROWLANDS_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:57:57 -0500

This is my first sending to the Digest so sorry if the formats buggered.

One thing Lee Insley missed off his comments on Roman funeral customs in #207 is that the origins of the gladiatorial games lie in a wish to appea= se
the spirits of the dead with a blood sacrifice. Firstly this was done by=

sacrificing prisoners and later this perceived cruelty was softened by making the prisoners fight each other, thus giving one of them a chance t= o
live. When gladiatorial combats were first offered as a spectacle to the=

masses they were held under the pretext of honouring a relative of the sponsor. Caesar typically broke with tradition by giving a spectacle in memory of his daughter as previously only males were honoured by such combats.

Adding my two pennysworth to the Babs Gor saga, if people are unhappy wit= h
power gaming wankers running psychotic axe maidens with 2000% attack then=

bin the spell Axe Trance alltogether and alter Slash to opperate in the same manner as Crush, +10% to hit/+1D4 damage per point and put a limit o= n
how many can be stacked at any one time. This would make them no more dangerous than a ZZ Death Lord while a priestess with a couple of points = of
Slash, Great Parry and Shield is still a bloody hard bastard by any standards. As to a Babs Gor worshippers effectivness in combat compared = to
other cults consider which of the following would be more scary 'in reality', an armoured man with a shiny broadsword and cool demeanor (Humakti) or a wide eyed, bad tempered, scarred woman with desiccated penises hanging from a blood stained axe screaming KILL!!!!!!! I know which one I would run from. On a more purile note I thought that the phrase "jerking penises" would be more applicable to a worshipper of Uleria.

Duncan Rowlands (duncanrowlands_at_compuserve.com)