Re: Voriof

From: Lee R. Insley <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:36:23 -0500

Stephen Martin writes:
>Since Lee followed the ritual properly, posting this again without
>comment after no one responded the first time, I will respond.

Thanks for the response.

Actually, it seems there was a mix-up in the digest postings. I sent in the original posting, but didn't see it posted for several days, so I resent it. I got your response in Digest #218. Then I got Digest #219 with my original posting. When I looked at Digest #219, it appears that my original posting showed up in #212, but I never received #212.

>IMO, he has no full cult, and like Barntar is more often worshiped as
>part of Ernalda's cult than Orlanth's. I believe that he is the source of
>some type of Resurrect ability for Ernalda, though the secret may now be
>lost.

I would think it more appropriate to be under Orlanth as a sub-cult. Either as Orlanth the herder or Orlanth Voriof. I would assume this subcult would provide spirit spells such as peaceful cut, endurance, farsee, etc and divine spells of command herd animal, calm beast, etc. to its initiates. I would also assume that priests of the sub-cult would be rare and acolytes more common (especially in clans which have large herds).

>I would give him lots of appropriate Spirit Magic, as discussed by me in
>a recent Digest. Since 99% of his "worshipers" are young boys, who soon
>abandon him for Orlanth (as is proper), he would not have much cult.
>Voria, his female counterpart, has a full cult only because of her
>worship among elves as well as among humans -- without that strengthening
>link, she would have little to offer either.

Would this mean that young boys would be initiates of Voriof, perhaps as part of some "baptism" ritual when the boy is born?

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #222