Ship's picking order

From: Jose Ramos <cristnav_at_arrakis.es>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 02:53:37 +0100

Jean and me continue to hammer the western social order aboard.

As an aside, I suppose the knight caste does all the risky jobs that are not menial in nature, and those that require loyalty to the ruler.

I accept that admirals, and many ship's owners are Lord caste. But the man aboard is not a Lord, but his representative. I cannot accept that each of the hundreds of ships in Pasos and Nolos is led by a noble, even if they are property of the trading families (nobles). And in Ralios that is even worse. What noble would follow the orders of a Trading House, led by farmers in a different kingdom?

Being a captain brings authority over the crew, but you still owe loyalty and follow orders from someone (the crown or the sponsors). That is like making all officers in the armies Lord Caste.

The problem is one of interpretation. I envision a limited Lord caste, specially in Safelster, with land ownership or title holding a requirement. The rest of the Lord caste sons and daughters, unable to hold their title, become favoured members of one of the other castes.

Although the tripod structure (three equals, one coordinator) is the ideal, the real structure is (IMHO) a base, with two supports holding the top. Except Loskalm, where we have a straightforward pyramid.

>- -who names the guild masters (ie the highest members of the farmer caste)

Guilds are present (IMO) only in Safelster, weak in Pasos and Nolos, and modified in Loskalm. In Safelster the guildmembers choose the master, subject to approval by the crown and the local church. In Pasos and Nolos the Noble houses appoint candidates. Disputes are hard between the candidates and their backers. In Loskalm the Guilds are completely self administered.

>- -who names the king's champion

That depends. Either it is decided in a tournament-judging contest (Kustria, the Castle Coast, Loskalm) or by appointment (Seshnela, Jonatela...).

>- -who names the bishops (and the ecclesiarch)

The Ecclesiarch is named by the bishops of the faith. The ruler of the physical see of the Church has a big effect. But God's will may oppose it.

The bishops are appointed by the Ecclesiarch or other head of the church, but usually need the approval of the ruler of the associated fief. Some bishops are in exile, others killed. It is better (and less messy) if everybody agrees on the candidate.

>- -who names the king and the counts?

The King is king by God's will. So it is hereditary until someone ousts them with the church's support. Only in Loskalm is the best candidate king.

The counts (and other nobles) depend on the country. In some of them the title is hereditary without crown control (Seshnela, and that is why the King is disposing of the independent nobles). In other kingdoms they are appointed (Loskalm, Naskorion) and usually a mix of tradition and crown support keeps them in place.

The structure is more similar, despite the apparences, of Feudal Nippon that Europe, and without an Emperor as a focal point. The kings are like daymios, and they answer to noone for their actions.

>- -who has the highest authority in the land?

The highest Lord, usually the King. The church may have more power as a group, but not individually.

>Aboard a ship, you have sailors (farmer caste) and officers.
>The master helmsman is a farmer.
>The master carpenter is a farmer.
>The very important master cook is a farmer.
>The navigator is a wizard as is the ship's doctor.
>If the ship is a warship, you have marines who are soldiers. Rowers
>aboard a war galley may even be soldiers.

All agreed.

>The captain and the second officer have to be noble since they coordinate
>the other castes' members who are aboard the ship. It's a role that a
>soldier does not have (IMG anyway)

Here is where we diverge. Lords for me have a higher independence and less reliance on temporal appointments.

>In the Loskalmi navy, the ship captain may be a knight or a young noble.

There are no young nobles in Loskalm. You have to follow the road, and even a favored candidate will be a bit old when he makes it to noble.

Lords are born such (Ex. Loskalm). But they need to be able to keep the caste, or they will lose it. Captaining a ship is too insecure for that.

Knights have several limitations: no menial work, no handling of money, total loyalty to their Lord, always wear a sword. None of them make them unable to captain a ship, although some may give difficulties (the money bit).

A Lord may captain a ship, but few do. A Knight may captain a ship, if that is his/her duty, and many do, as their service to their Lords. And some are Farmers treated as knights (perks of captaincy), working as traders.

As this seems between you and me, and the West is not a hot thread, we can continue by private mail.

Jose