Quibbling

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 00:18:53 EST

>These were not exclusive features. The *four* RQ3 Trollpak releases
>(Trollpak, Troll Gods, Haunted Ruins, Troll Realms) that were such a
>significant feature of the "middle period" were accompanied by much
>new material (in "Gods of Glorantha", "Genertela", "Elder Secrets").

Not to interfere with your quibbling, or to detract from the very correct statement above, but one should also take into account Apple Lane, Snake-Pipe Hollow, and Griffin Island when talking about reworked material. The latter was not only reworked, but was reworked in such a way that to most of us it is/was completely useless. Though there were a couple of new bits which I thought were good, particularly Granny Keeneye.

And on the subject of completely useless, lets not even _mention_ Monster Coliseum, or Releases #s 2 and 3!

Back to your regularly scheduled quibbling. :)

Voriof, by Lee Insley
>Would this mean that young boys would be initiates of Voriof, perhaps as
>part of some "baptism" ritual when the boy is born?

That is sort of how I interpret King of Sartar, page 54: "Voriof: Shepherd God, and in a more general sense, the Boys' God"

especially when compared to the entry for Voria on page 53: "Voria: Goddess of Spring, and New growth. [This is the elf influence, in my opinion.] In a more general way, she is Goddess of Innocence, and perhaps of any new Start. She is daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda [see below], and the Girls' goddess."

Bracketed comments are mine. Note that this bit about Voria being daughter of Orlanth contradicts most other references, which have Voria as born of Ernalda without father, or give Yelm as her father (for she was born when the reborn Sun rekindled Ernalda).

So, all young boys and girls are in a sense protected by Voriof and Voria. I don't think that the children are actually dedicated to these deities, at birth or afterwards -- they are merely the deities of childhood.

I also think that any adult who continues to worship them as their primary deity, is not considered to truly be an adult in normal Orlanthi society. This will vary from area to area, but you have to be a complete innocent to worship them, IMO. Thus, I don't think that Voriof acolytes or priests can marry, just as Voria priestesses cannot. I think this lack of marriagability, plus the close association with sheep, probably gives rise to certain ribald speculations and sexual jests among many Orlanthi - -- seems likely, anyways.

As a child god, I don't think Voriof would have much to offer in the way of Divine Magic, maybe a spell or two, both low power. Look at Voria's spells, and then figure his magic is a bit weaker, because he is a less common deity among adults -- Voria, as I said before, is worshiped by a fair number of elves.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com