Lunar Occupation in Heortland

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 97 14:23 MET

Nick said:
>The likely case for a Heortland city seized during the recent campaign
>would be a period of military occupation -- depending on the course of
>military events, this could be brief, and the garrison is unlikely to
>be huge unless things quieten down leaving the city in the front lines
>- during which an army officer would run things.

Yes. This is most likely a Tarshite officer, one of those trained in Fazzur's private army for the 1613 take-over of Sartar, and then risen in service. Lunar Orlanthi, with a feel for these likewise civilized, urbanized Orlanthi people.

In a private exchange with Jeff Richard several moons ago we agreed that one historical figure to model Fazzur on (apart from Shakespeare's Caesar) would be Wallenstein, the 30-year War general who made war pay its own bills. Fazzur certainly made his private army turned Provincial Army through a few tragical misfortunes, like Kallyr's revolt and Euglyptus' "choking", pay its own bills...

>Gradually more peaceful types would arrive, priests and tribunes and the like,

That's what will happen in my campaing outline. They will be good imperial officials. Which has the unfortunate side effect that they will be Dara Happan style bureaucrats with no regard for "barbarian" sensibilities. Effectively, Tatius will replace the Fazzurite top level of personnel with his own Dara Happan cronies, and if the occupied city is lucky, one of Fazzur's less senior commanders will remain in charge of the garrison and executive duty.

>and set up an "acceptable" local government.

In this case there would have to be the rare "Good Seven Mothers Priests" from Nick's personification in Heroes of Wisdom '95 rather than the "Career Lunar Priest" from Nick's performance in "People of Pavis" - someone to rival Halcyon var Enkorth from Griffin _Mountain_.

>Lunar officials would perhaps retain
>a veto, a seat on any deliberative bodies, control over local military
>forces, etc. for a long time after the normalisation of affairs.

Normalisation of affairs?

Perhaps in Refuge. I suggest that, if you use the Sanctuary novels, to make the Prince-gouvernor Kadakithis a member of the Tarshite royal family rather than the imperial family. This would make his position in the later novels when the Waertagi - err, Beysib - princess arrives, more precarious.

And don't you think that Argrath would be perfectly happy with a former Tarshite Lunar royal as gouvernor in Refuge?

>Precedents suggest the Empire is keen to have local stooges -- think
>of Hon-Eel seducing the King of Tarsh, Temertain in Sartar, those
>wonderful Elkoi royals, and the planned wedding of Pavis.

The career type. Oh, well, add in some Yelmite chief of affairs and a honorable Tarshite Yanafali in charge of the garrison, and get your PCs involved in the intra-Lunar intrigue...

[useful advices from the Lunar "How to take over barbarian kingdoms" deleted]

>Think politically! (Gods know the commissars will...)

Which makes Lunar occupation so much more MGF than Rokari occupation.