Re: Empires; Pamaltelan hsunchen; Umathelans

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 12:03:59 -0800

Nick Brooke wrote

> Precedents suggest the [Lunar] Empire is keen to have local stooges

This is practically the definition of an empire. Locals are almost always happier when ruled by a local.

I asked about Pamaltelan hsunchen. I should have looked at Gods of Glorantha. They're apparently restricted to the coast between Onlaks and Dinal, and to Slon.

Speaking of religious distributions, I'm still trying to make sense of the religion in Umathela. There are Malkioni (Sedalpist, presumably) influences throughout. Parts have Orlanthi influence. Parts have Yelm (probably really Fonritan?). And parts have Pamaltelan influence.

This doesn't seem to completely fit with the article in Breakout (the Kormarkan tribe appears to live in an area with little to no Orlanthi influence). I think the answer is mostly that there's wide religious variation between different barbarian tribes, perhaps wider than most areas since there are so many conflicting influences.