Babs Gor protetresses

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:30:35 -0800 (PST)

Mr. Tines
> Pam Carlson
> > Does every clan Ernalda shrine need a guard? Just who is going to defile
> it
> > - - certainly not the clan members!
>
> Mundane raiders, be they from feuding clan, or
> something in a different ecological niche like
> trolls; plus the ritual enemies at the various
> ceremonies throughout the year.
>
> > Are we talking about an agrarian society here? Do Orlanthi really have
> the
> > luxury to allow their teenagers to lounge about aimlessly with weapons?
>
> One (1) person per shrine, stuck with what is in effect
> punishment detail, multiplied by however-many clans.
> Not whole gangs of disaffected inner city youths per steading.
>
> Am I honestly that unclear in my writing?

I'm sorry, but I just do not believe that this holds together. A single teenage girl, sent on a punishment duty, is going to guard the shrine against trolls and raiders? Much more likely that this is the role primarily of the clan huscarls - that is largely what their role is anyway. Even the carls defend the clan when necessary.

I am quite willing to accept that as a punishment some poor rebellious girl might be cast as Babs during a religious ceremony, but I don't believe that this requires anything more than a normal Ernaldan initiation. Come to think of it that would be a fairly nasty threat - what normal young guy would associate with the poor girl once it became known that she was "Babeester Gor".

Cheers,
Dave

Disclaimer:
These are not neccesarily the views of the rest of the Seattle Farmers Collective (although they might be close, and, as Pam says, we do share beer - homemade at that!).

pearton_at_u.washington.edu

Down he sank in a chair-ran his hands through his hair-	+
     And chanted in mimsiest tones			+
Words whose utter inanity proved his insanity,		+
     While he rattled a couple of bones.		+
							+
"The Hunting of the Snark" Lewis Carroll		+