Sartar Dynasty dates

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 97 19:34 MET

Steve Martin:
>>> So, sometime between 1552-1557.

Jane Williams:
>>Those are the dates for Jarolar's reign in the family tree on p48. CHDP
>>gives 1550-1565.

Steve again:
>CHDP seems to be the less reliable source here, though this could
>indicate something else going on. Joerg may have analyzed the two sets of
>dates more than me.

Not really, but there are a few clues. Jarol<a/o>r managed to build quite a few fortifications, which should have taken him more than the five years allotted to him in the family tree (whose dates are somewhat off in several cases, like Eonistaran's date of birth in the year one his younger sons, Dorasar, should have been born if he was of an age with Saronil's son Sarotar...).

On the other hand, the description of Tarkalor's reign suggests that he may have had more than six years before concluding the contest for the Feathered Horse Queen.

Overall, we know from Tarshite sources that both Jarolar and his son Jarosar died during Phargentes' long reign. Jarolar ruled in 1555, and seems to have been fresh to the office. This makes the year 1552 for the start of his reign more likely than 1550.

BTW, this granddaughter of Saronil's who was abducted in the year of his death could either been Sarotar's daughter Marlesta the Dancer, or one of Onelisin Cat-Witch's three daughters. Onelisin's girls could have been up to 14 years old by 1550 (assuming that "cat witch" has some implication on her choice of partners as well, and at an early age like 16), Marlesta would have been age 4 or a little older if her birth predated Sarotar's attempt to abduce Arkilia by more than a year.

We know that Onelisin's three daughters are young adults when Jarolar died, and they staunch the wounds of Kostajor Wolf-Champion after saving Jarosar. This makes 1565 for Jarosar's death a bit unlikely.

In short: I don't trust either set of dates...