Yelmalio in 2nd age

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:57:54 PST

Stephen Martin:

>Nick Brooke mentioned worship of "Yelmalio" in Prax since the
>Second Age. May I suggest that the name of their deity was not
>Yelmalio, that this name is something they gained from Monrogh after
>he convinced them that his vision applied to them as well?

I'm of the opinion that the Praxian Sun Domers picked up the monicker when they arrived into Prax during the Second Age. Prior to that, Pavis the elf-friend had in his cultic rites a place for the local yelmalio-elf from the Garden as the Sun Stooge. Come the templars and the yelmalio-elf is given the boot and replaced with the Count of Sun County. However the Templars picked up the name Yelmalio for their god.

As for forgetting the original name, remember that when the Templars came into Prax, they were heavily draconized and the name of their god would have been spoken in Auld Wyrmish. Since nobody can speak it now, the people of prax were forced to call their god Yelmalio after 1043 ST.

This IMO saves us a lot of trouble by avoiding the need for tortously trying to find out any supposed elvish remants in the current cult of Yelmalio (Sun Dome human version) and allows the cult of the Yelmalio (elf-version) to be radically different from human conceptions in line with Belintar's pronouncements.