2nd age Yelmalio

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:54:11 PST

Stephen Martin:

Me>>Prior to that, Pavis the elf-friend had in
>>his cultic rites a place for the local yelmalio-elf from
>>the Garden as the Sun Stooge. Come the templars and the
>>yelmalio-elf is given the boot and replaced with the Count
>>of Sun County. However the Templars picked up the name
>>Yelmalio for their god.

>I see no rational reason for these Templars, certainly worshiping >some
deity of their own, to all of a sudden abandon his name and >replace it with "Yelmalio". doesn't that strike you as being >religiously and mythically just a bit of a stretch?

Picking up the name 'Yelmalio' does not imply abandonment of the old name. If you had taken the trouble to look at the very _next_ paragraph that I wrote (reproduced below), you will find that they did not abandon the old name until 1043 ST, some two hundred years later. The 'rational reason' that appears to have escaped your omniscience is that in the previous year, the Inhuman King managed to remove the knowlege of speaking Auld Wyrmish everywhere.

         As for forgetting the original name, remember that when
        the Templars came into Prax, they were heavily draconized
        and the name of their god would have been spoken in Auld
        Wyrmish.  Since nobody can speak it now, the people of
        prax were forced to call their god Yelmalio after 1043 ST.

To spell it out, the hoi polloi of 2nd age Pavis (or in regions controlled by the EWF for that matter) cannot speak Auld Wyrmish because they do not have split tongues or they have not undergone the initiation to Arangorf and gained their Inner Dragon. So what can _they_ call the god of an EWF cult?