Wildly varying

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:41:59 +0100

Erik Nolander:

> Also, is it possible to travel to the Red Moon? I seem to remember it
> being mentioned somewhere in the Glorantha box that you can get there
> via the Crater in Glamour, which seems next to impossible. Is there
> another way?

Heroquest, like leaping from Wintertop. Using a Mostali super-cannon (Jules Verne-esque).

Guy Hoyle the Ineffable:

> occurrence). To avoid the massive reprinting of old RQ
> materials (aka the Kyger Litor syndrome), why not focus on a new area
> of Glorantha instead of the Dragon Pass region? Peloria might be a
> good region to start with, one which has had much written about it
> lately but has not been adequately explored through gaming sources.
> Balazar might be a good area to reopen (Return to Griffin
> Mountain?), even though it has become a Blank Land (this status could
> be revoked, certainly?)
>
> Any other likely regions?

The East Isles! {yelled while jumping up and down}

The whole sheep vs cattle discussion about the Sartarites made me think a bit about the cultural analogues we use. The cattle supremacy seems very grounded in irish legend and history, which fits with a celtic analogue for orlanthi culture. However, I am wary of close real world analogies for Glorantha, so I started to ponder a secondary one for the sartarites.

People have told how they played Sartar as hellenic, with the cities and the armour and weapons depicted in the RQ 2 rulesbook. Personally I use a minoan/ mycenaean/general mediterranean primary analogue for the Holy Country.

If I stretch that a bit, into iron age Hellas, the ionians (mainly) built colony cities and interacted with wild and unruly barbarians in the forests and mountains to the north. That does sound a bit like king Sartar, no?

So, there I was, with thracians as my secondary analogue for the orlanthi of Sartar. Comments, ideas, flames?

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689