RE: Rune meanings

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:24:02 -0600

Brian Childers:
>Question: does Stasis imply order or does it imply Resistant and/or
Impervious to change?

        The latter. It also implies immobility and solidity.

>Then does Chaos imply disorder or does it imply radical, random, or
unpredictable/uncontrolled change??

        Chaos in Glorantha isn't exactly the same as the normal dictionary definition. It is NOT disorder. It does not necessarily even imply random change. Chaos is more like Entropy -- when the universe has suffered its final heat death, it won't necessarily be all that disorderly -- it will probably be totally dull and empty. Chaos can lead to this. Chaos is also Anti-Life, or Anti-Existence might be more accurate. It opposes all that Glorantha is.

        Let me make my usual comparison. You want the gold. The troll wants the gold. You and the troll fight over the gold. Both you and the troll might be bad guys. But, when Chaos comes along, what it wants to do is _destroy_ all the gold. Hence, both you and the troll (natural foes) will band together against Chaos.

>Then which is more harmful?? A endlessly changing world, or a world
where there shall never be any change??

        Stasis would lead to a world w/o change, while Mobility would lead to the endlessly-changing world. But if Chaos wins out, there will be no world.

>BTW: Does anyone know where I might find information on the cult of
Valind??

        Gods of Glorantha

Sandy