broos and goats

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:38:16 -0000

Several people pointed in the recent discussion on the connection between broos and goats that it is something 'induced' by RQ2 materials while more recent writings uncovered the fact that broos breed with all - or at least - - most animals. Finding broos with goatish features should be mostly something regional to Sartar and Dragon Pass.

IMHO most broos should be goat like: I prefer the RQ2 version where this is the norm and non-goat like broos are the exception (in absolute terms - there can be different regional paterns). The problem is that I must explain that special connection...

I came out with a purely 'biological' explanation: we may assume that breeding a broo is a painfull experience, if not deadly. Most of the time the female will die or get barren from it and will endure a very painful pregnancy. Now, supose there is an oddity, a species which females can breed broos like if they were normal pregnancies without the mentioned penalties. Supose that that species is goats... What would happen next is that most broos communities would have some goats around only for the case where they couldn't find a more tasty victim... And broos would particularly enjoy sneaking into human surroundings to copulate with human-owned goats that would bread a broo from an unsuspicious pregnancy...

In that scenario, the connection between goats and broos has nothing to do with chaos: goats are not chaotic. They are only unfortunate.

Best,

Sergio