Re: gold-wanting trolls

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 18:45:15 -0800

Carl Fink wrote

> Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>:
> > Let me make my usual comparison. You want the gold. The troll
> > wants the gold. You and the troll fight over the gold.
>
> Why would a troll want fire-metal, sky-metal, death-metal?

On the off chance that Carl isn't just being facetious, because the troll hasn't read RuneQuest and doesn't know the rune associations. Most Gloranthan cultures don't make them or at best, know them in the abstract (e.g. the Spear is a sky rune weapon*, but Orlanthi carls, if they know this, don't gnash their teeth and wail because they can't afford swords and have nothing to fight with. They make spears.).

Of course, the wily troll may well know that human sky worshippers prize gold especially. Gold is thus good to have, you can trade it to humans for much food. (Of course, this assumes that gold isn't especially pried for its own taste, which is always possible.)

And gold isn't death-metal to a troll, iron is.