Broos, LoT, Sisters of Mercy, Dogs

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:01:40 EST

To All:

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. And I still have a Digest to get through.

Michael Raaterova
>Assuming that the horns are always-present (though i don't think each
and
>every broo has horns),

Actually, the one broo I know of in any published reference, who has no horns, is stated to have the chaotic feature of "doesn't have horns." This seems to imply that hornless broo are even rarer than female or hermaphrodotic broo.

>The type of horns depend on breeding animal. In DP the
>default horns *are* goat horns, since goats are the default broo
breeding
>animal in Dragon Pass.

You are making a logical and possible assumption here, that the goat horns are a matter of breeding only. This would definitely imply that goats are common in Dragon Pass area. This is a valid hypotheses.

However, it is based upon the assumption that the term goatkin is local to the Orlanthi, and not grounded in the mythology and origins of the broo. If, on the other hand, I and some others are right that the goat part is part of their "genetic" nature, this blasts your theory away.

I have nothing to support my beliefs but Greg's many denials of the presence of goats in the DP area. He could greg this at any time, true.

The dripping sarcasm here is not intended to be offensive, just dripping.

Sandy Petersen
>In any case it doesn't really matter,
>because at the time it was not known how broos bred. Now it is common
>knowledge, and the broo life-cycle makes it unlikely that many Praxian
>broos would be goat-like. There are certainly wild goats in the
>Rockwoods, and broos from parts of the Wastes & Prax adjacent to the
>Rockwoods might possibly have goat-like features.

Actually, we have a lot of theories about how broo reproduce, in a genetic sense, but no authoritative answer. Do broo who mate with broo become more "broo-like"? Do broo-spawn _always_ take on the physical features from the parent? I hesitate to apply the word "always" to anything as chaotic as broos.

My theory is that the spawn of broos who mate with females take on some of the nature of the host mother. Spwan of broos who mate with males (which is specifically possible according to published sources) tend to devolve toward the broo "origin" or "norm." Thus, I believe that broo originated as a goat-race, and they evince goat-like features often because a lot of broo mate with males, they ain't exactly picky.

Guy Hoyle
>I'd shell out bucks for GtG versions of ... Lords of Terror (which I
STILL >don't have), and probably several others.
>Anybody else have suggestions?

Not the suggestion you are looking for, but Lords of Terror is still available from Wizard's Attic, according to Chaosium's on-line catalog.

Nils
>Who are the Sisters of Mercy. (I guess you are not
>referring to the godfathers of gothic rock music).

In the RW they are a catholic charity organization, I understand. In Glorantha, they are a powerful subcultof Chalana Arroy in Dragon Pass. Although their mention in the River of Cradles write-up is very short, they had a full page write-up in Wyrms Footnotes 1, 2, or 3 (can't be bothered to check which) as a unit for WB&RM. This "article" discusses the fact that they are most often encountered near other EWF remnants, such as Delecti and the Tusk Riders. Maybe this should go up on the Web Page?

>The goat and dog thing (actually just dog): while
>Indrodar Greydog was Humakti, he was still definitely
>of the DP orlanthi culture (orlanthing to use Michael
>Raaterova's terminology). Would really a major tribal
>hero, with his own hero cult, have a byname like Greydog
>if dogs were so universally hated?

Other than the fact that this explains why the Greydogs are so hated by other (normal) Sartar clans, this is the best piece of fact interjected into this discussion since it started. Kudos -- I may have to start compromising, for some clans anyways.

Oliver Bernuetz
>Have you ever trained a cat? I won't say it's impossible but there are
>hell of a lot more trained dogs in this world than cats.

First of all, I seem to recall that many zoos and circuses have cats trained to do all sorts of complicated tricks, and trained not to attack people. You know, little kittenish things like tigers and lions.

Alynxes are NOT of the genus felis deomesticus. They are a different species than everyone's tabby. They are manifestly more intelligent, and they are not a species found "in this world".

RQ3 Creatures Book gives dogs a Fixed INT of 5. Gloranthan Bestiary gives Shadow Cats a Fixed INT of 5. Sure, "personalities" will differ, but alynxes are as intelligent as dogs.

>If you put an untrained dog in with a flock of sheep or cattle it'd
probably >chase them around. A cat (if big enough) would just jump on one and kill it.

And I submit that if the dog was big enough, and fast enough, it would do the same. Dogs don't have the same agility and killing claws as cats, and so have to chase their prey more, in this type of situation.

>Now if the analogy for alynxes is cheetahs rather than lynxes you might
have
>an argument.

As I pointed out above, all I said was "cats". If you read something into that other than alynx, it sort of skews the discussion, eh?

>Other than that as fairly large predators Alynxes
>shouldn't be as common as dogs and cats-unless your suggesting the
>Orlanthi are feeding them all.

See my comment above. "Cat" does not mean "house cat."

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com