GtG

From: madamx_at_mikka.net.au
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 13:48:51 +1000

FWIW here is my 2d on G:tG:
Glorantha is a detailed & very complex world.Even the simplest of the cultures involved
require a level of background knowledge that is only aquired thru years of dealing with the
world & the huge # of RW people contributing to its existance. The challenge for the game
is IMO to provide an entry to this wonderful creation for both novice gamers & RPG literate
but non- Gloranthan gamers while providing a product for those of us who have hung around
the lozenge for a bit. To this end long time devotees may have to patiently endure rewrites of
some of the better known works so that the world does not die when we do. Glorantha is no longer an adolecent's world but for those who come to it now it is an
increasingly opaque with references made to rulings handed down in obscure & inaccessable
places ( Greg _at_ cons in the U.S.A. is not accessable to most Au gamers Frex). Granted the
digest & ToTRM et. al. do a fine job of diseminating the info but ,according to a game shop
source, many will not buy or subscribe to these as they are not "official".

I leap rashly to the defense of the munchkin. They are the future. Most of them will mature
the others will leave Glorantha for fields requiring less thought, like brain surgery. In the
interval it may be the wisest course to ignore the worst of their gaffes & treat their opinions
with some gravity. What is stated may not be new to you but for them it is a revalation. If
we drive the munchkin from Glorantha, as appears to be happenning, we also drive out the
group with the disposable income. Like it or not if the returns on new Gloranthan material
are insufficient no company is going to be able to produce them regularly. As the die-hards
approach or work their way thru the mortgage belt "official" gloranthan material needs that
money. As I noted earlier, we may have to endure reprints so that G:tG can continue in a
very crowded market. Our alternative is to continue as a solely fan based world with the
occasional "official" perfect bound suplement leaking out thru the cons or Wizard's Attic.
The flip side of this is that once lured in many munchkins will stay & slowly mature as
gamers. If Glorantha can keep their interest continual exposure to the Gloranthan ethos,
emphasising as it does cultural development over treasure aquisition, will contribute
to that maturation. Disgustingly worthy though this is, it is to the good of the whole hobby.
(Perhaps it can be sold as a rebuttal of the RPG = Satanism arguement ?;-) In summary any new game needs to be a point of access for those unfamiliar with the world.
This aproach gives the world a chance for continuity beyond our playing lives, while
those of us with Gloranthan experience can get along in the absence of new 'official' work.
My apologies for length & incoherence.
Darvall.
Madamx_at_mikka.net.au

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>GtG</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">

FWIW here is my 2d on G:tG:<BR>
Glorantha is a detailed & very complex world.Even the simplest of the cultures involved <BR> require a level of background knowledge that is only aquired thru years of dealing with the<BR> world & the huge # of RW people contributing to its existance. The challenge for the game<BR> is IMO to provide an entry to this wonderful creation for both novice gamers & RPG literate<BR> but non- Gloranthan gamers while providing a product for those of us who have hung around<BR> the lozenge for a bit. To this end long time devotees may have to patiently endure rewrites of<BR> some of the better known works so that the world does not die when we do. <BR> Glorantha is no longer an adolecent's world but for those who come to it now it is an <BR> increasingly opaque with references made to rulings handed down in obscure & inaccessable<BR> places ( Greg _at_ cons in the U.S.A. is not accessable to most Au gamers Frex). Granted the<BR> digest & ToTRM et. al. do a fine job of diseminating the info but ,according to a game shop <BR> source, many will not buy or subscribe to these as they are not "official".<B> <BR> </B>I leap rashly to the defense of the munchkin. They are the future. Most of them will mature<BR> the others will leave Glorantha for fields requiring less thought, like brain surgery. In the <BR> interval it may be the wisest course to ignore the worst of their gaffes & treat their opinions<BR> with some gravity. What is stated may not be new to you but for them it is a revalation. If <BR> we drive the munchkin from Glorantha, as appears to be happenning, we also drive out the <BR> group with the disposable income. Like it or not if the returns on new Gloranthan material<BR> are insufficient no company is going to be able to produce them regularly. As the die-hards <BR> approach or work their way thru the mortgage belt "official" gloranthan material needs that<BR> money. As I noted earlier, we may have to endure reprints so that G:tG can continue in a <BR> very crowded market. Our alternative is to continue as a solely fan based world with the <BR> occasional "official" perfect bound suplement leaking out thru the cons or Wizard's Attic.<BR> The flip side of this is that once lured in many munchkins will stay & slowly mature as <BR> gamers. If Glorantha can keep their interest continual exposure to the Gloranthan ethos,<BR> emphasising as it does cultural development over treasure aquisition, will contribute<BR> to that maturation. Disgustingly worthy though this is, it is to the good of the whole hobby.<BR> (Perhaps it can be sold as a rebuttal of the RPG = Satanism arguement ?;-)<BR> In summary any new game needs to be a point of access for those unfamiliar with the world.<BR> This aproach gives the world a chance for continuity beyond our playing lives, while<BR> those of us with Gloranthan experience can get along in the absence of new 'official' work.<BR> My apologies for length & incoherence.<BR> Darvall. <BR>
Madamx_at_mikka.net.au<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>