Fighting like cats and dogs (and goats?)

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 12:27:37 -0500

Well, looks like this "discussion" has outworn its welcome. Probably just as
well. Frankly I don't really care what other people do in their Glorantha.  I wasn't
aware I was telling people what they can and cannot do (since I have no control
over anyone else's actions anyway). I thought I was just disagreeing with a

particular interpretation. I guess I should start every statement with, well in my
Glorantha I .... and end every sentence with ..but your Glorantha may vary.  But
I think we can accept that as a given now can't we?

I can readily accept that Heortling Orlanthis hate dogs. Hell, you don't need
any animal to herd sheep or cattle with. (It's just easier with them).  There's no
reason for them to have goats either for that matter.

On the other hand to state something is different because it's a fantasy version
starts to erode any common ground people might have and limits common understanding. (Not to mention making any sort of discussion on a topic grind
to a halt in the face of an irrefutable argument. ("Oh, so it's a fantasy version.
well I guess that's it then)). So if you want cats that herd sheep and cattle, fine
but they sure don't act much like RW cats. (Anyone having evidence to the contrary, i.e. herding cats, I'd love to hear from you).

I'm all in favour of a fantastic Glorantha but the "It's fan-ta-sy, Tattoo" argument
can be a real cop-out. (Of course it can be a real saviour as well so it's pretty
much a double edged sword isn't it?)

Have a nice weekend.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca